Mr. Horan’s primary focus is in the area of Family Law, including Divorce, Paternity, Child Custody, Adoption and Termination of Parental Rights, which constitutes around 90% of his practice. In addition, he also practices in the areas of Probate (including Guardianship), Personal Injury and Criminal Defense.
Edward W. Horan, P.A. was born in Panama City, Florida, on May 10, 1952, and now serves as a family law attorney in Tallahassee, Florida. He has received the highest possible marks from the Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory, which is the largest and most comprehensive lawyer rating directory in the world. His A/V rating for over 10 consecutive years is based exclusively on opinions expressed by confidential sources, including other attorneys and judges. The rating applies to ability, as well as to ethical standards, professional reliability, diligence, and a range of other relevant factors. His areas of practice include Family Law, Personal Injury, Criminal Defense and Probate Matters, including Guardianships. He has maintained his A/V rating for ten consecutive years. His list of reported cases, handled at both the trail and appellate court levels, highlight his diverse base of knowledge in Family Law, Contract Law, Landlord/Tenant, Premises Liability and Salvage Law.
- 1984, Florida Courts
- 1987, U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- 1989 U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida including Trial Bar
and U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- Florida State University, J.D., 1983
- Florida State University, B.S., 1981
- Assistant State Attorney, 1984-1986
- Listed in the Who’s Who among Young Americans in American Society
& Business, 1992
- Former Presenter, Maritime Law Symposium, 1998
- Board Attorney, Big Brothers & Big Sisters of Monroe County, 1996-2004
- President: Monroe County Bar Association 1991 and 1992.
- Sea Services of the Keys v. FL Dept. of Environmental Protection, 156 F.3d
1151 (11th Cir. 1998)
- DiLucia v. Treasure Salvors, 713 F.Supp. 1425 (S.D.Fla.1989)
- Island Reef v. Mirage International, 876 So. 2d 568 (Fla.3rd DCA, 2004)
- LRU v. Kosmic of Key West, Inc., 886 So.2d 234 (Fla.3rd DCA, 2004)
- Leonard Ltd v. Kirk, 820 So. 2d 1085 (Fla.3rd DCA, 2002)
- Frazier v. Pozzi, 833 So. 2d 790 (Fla.3rd DCA, 2002)
- Swain v. Swain, 932 So. 2d 1214 (Fla.1st DCA, 2006)
- Clary v. Clary, 965 So.2d 125 (Fla. 1st DCA, 2007)
- Swain v. Maney, 990 So.2d 1068 (Fla. 1st DCA, 2008)
- Hunter v. Booker, 133 So.3d 623 (Fla. 1st DCA, 2014)
- S.T. v. F.L.L., 2018 Fla. App. LEXIS 8059 (Fla. 1st DCA, 2018)
Most Notable Representation
Mr. Horan represented Treasure Salvors, Inc., Mel Fisher’s company that salvaged the wreck of the Spanish Galleon, “Nuestra Senora de Atocha” off the Florida Keys, as well as many other vessels in the coastal waters of Florida.